Monday, February 25, 2019

#13: It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown




#13: It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Reference: S1, E3- Kill Me Now
Michel: "To me you are the teacher on the Charlie Brown cartoon."

So many fantastic Charlie Brown cartoons to choose from, but I didn't hesitate when choosing. Though the teacher in question doesn't appear in this particular episode, The Great Pumpkin is by far my favorite of the Peanuts flicks.

With all the classic Peanuts  brand humor, including Linus' grand speeches, Sally's hilarious naivety, and Snoopy just being Snoopy, TGP delivers laughs in spades.

What I adore about Charles Schultz' fictional gang above all else is their brutal honesty. The only small screen group of kids who were more self-aware and internally combusting were the teens of Dawson's Creek. While the politically correct masses of 2019 might frown on laughs at the expense of the kid so dirty a dust cloud follows him everywhere he goes, or that little asshole yanking the football away from poor old Chuck time and time again, I believe there is a valuable moral to be gleaned from these tales- and a really simple one, at that.

The brutal honesty of the kids I grew up with was a match for that of the Peanuts gang. In the 80s, kids told you what ever thought stomped through their heads; feelings be damned. That sometimes painful honesty prepared me well for dealing with the sneaky assholishness of the adult world.

Cynical, but realistic.


However, I always did want to see Lucy get beat down for tricking Charlie Brown so many times. If you feel the same way, checkout this clip from Family Guy, wherein Peter gets some long overdue retribution!



All in all I give The Great Pumpkin a treasure chest full of Pippi coins, for a nostalgia filled adventure and because it led me to the fun video above.

Thanks for tuning in for another edition of Dean's Black, White & Read Nights! I hope you've enjoyed this little romp through a great movie with me! Check out my previous installments and be on the lookout for my review of a little Merrie Melodies classic with Pepe Le Pew.

If you'd like to leave me feedback or ask a question, shoot me an email at LukesJamHands@gmail.com. I love to hear from you guys!

If you love the Gilmore girls, check out my Under the Floorboards podcast with my pal Elizabeth Allen. We review each episode scene-by-scene, following our tangents where they lead while making fun of lots of people in the process. Just like life in Stars Hollow! Plus, we give you all the latest updates on everything Gilmore!

Also, if you are a fan of  Avatar: The Last Airbender , the animated series, give a listen to me and my son's podcast, TeamBoomeraangKickACast.

Talk atcha' soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment