Wednesday, August 12, 2015

WELCOME!



Welcome! You have just taken your first steps into the world of The Gilmore girls Movie Challenge. Congratulations! This journey will carry you through every movie referenced in all seven seasons of the most excellent TV show in the history of the beautiful idiot box- the Gilmore girls!

Since the show wrapped-up back in 2007, many fans have taken on the Gilmore girls Reading Challenge, daring to read all the books referenced throughout the series. As much as I love to read, I just can't stick with the reading challenge. There are so many other great books that pop up on my book-dar, that I can't stay focused on the challenge.

My friend and Gilmore girls podcast co-host, Elizabeth Allen, HAS stuck with the reading challenge. You can- and SHOULD- checkout her awesome blog here.

As I said, Elizabeth and I co-host a blog devoted to the Gilmore girls titled, Under the Floorboards. This is a podcast for by Superfans, for Superfans. Give us a listen!

The Gilmore girls Movie Challenge is much more suited to my personality. I am starting with the first movie referenced in the first episode, and working my way chronologically through them. Here are my self-imposed rules:

1- If a performance that is most well-known in some form other than a movie- i.e. book, play, etc- is mentioned in a way that is unclear which one is referenced, I will watch the movie. For example, in the Pilot- S1, E1- Officer Krupke is referenced. It is open to interpretation as to whether or not they are referencing the film or the stage performance, so I watched the movie.

2- If a title is mentioned which is clearly referencing something other than the movie- i.e. book, play, etc- I may choose to watch the movie anyway. Why? Because this is my own little corner of the world, where I can and will do whatever I damn well please. In the real world, I have responsibilities and bills and I rarely get to do whatever I damn well please.

3- If an actor is referenced, I will watch either my favorite movie with said actor, the movie they are most well-known for, or a movie I have never seen with them. My choice based entirely on whatever-the-hell I'm feeling at that moment :) It's my challenge, damn it!

4- If I've seen the movie in the past year I won't be obligated to watch it again- but I might anyway; because I love movies and that's how I roll. If more than a year, I'll absolutely re-watch.

5- If the same movie is referenced more than once in the series, I will only re-watch it if it has been more than a year since my last viewing. Or if Lauren graham personally invites me to a movie night at her place.

6- I will not be censoring myself, so if crude language bothers you- fuck off! Just kidding. But seriously, if you're easily offended, please don't read on. Thanks for stopping by.

7- I may add rules as I go, but I will not delete or change these existing rules for the duration of this challenge.

My first two movies:

S1, E1- the Pilot
#1- West Side Story- referenced by Lorelai when she says, Officer Krupke
#2- Rosemary's Baby- referenced by Rory when she tells Dean he's like Ruth Gordon standing there with a tannus root

If I miss a movie reference or you have feedback, comments or suggestions, please email me at LukesJamHands@gmail.com

Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment